Have you ever wondered how to tell the difference between a mal and female blue crab? Well, it is actually quite simple. This can be done one of two ways.
1. Color of the Claws: Male blue crabs have blue claws, while female blue crabs have red tips at the end of their claws.
2. Apron Shapes: Male and female blue crabs have entirely different shaped aprons (found on “belly” of the crab). Furthermore, the apron is very different for adolescent and adult females, making it easy to distinguish between the two.
- Male Blue Crab: Also referred to as a “Jimmy,” male crabs have long, inverted “T” shaped aprons. However, unlike female crabs, there is no easy way to distinguish the sexual maturity of a male crab. But upon close inspection, you will note that the apron of the adolescent male is tightly sealed to his body whereas the adult male is free to open his apron (the male
- Immature Female Blue Crab: Also known as a “Sally,” an immature female crab has an inverted “V” or triangular shaped apron.
- Mature Female Blue Crab: Also known as a “Sook,” mature female crabs have a bell shaped apron.
- Pregnant Female Blue Crab: Also known as a “Sponge Crab,” because of the way the fertilized eggs the female carries on her abdomen resemble a sponge, pregnant female crabs are not legal to possess.
So now you know how to identify the different types of Maryland Blue Crabs!
If you have any questions or would love to devour some delicious steamed crabs, please contact Gunning’s Seafood Restaurant by calling 410.712.9404 or visit GunningsOnline.com today!
About Gunning’s Seafood Restaurant:
We invite you to enjoy a dining experience with our family. Like the Baltimore area, we’ve come a long way, hon. We haven’t forgotten our roots and traditions. Our family recipes are not just handed down through the generations – they are to be enjoyed as a Baltimore tradition for generations to come.
The history of the Gunning’s family restaurant endeavors are a reflection of Baltimore and its surrounding areas. It is truly an evolution.
Tags: Apron Shapes, Color of the Claws, Gunning’s Seafood Restaurant, Immature Female Blue Crab, Jimmy, Male Blue Crab, Maryland Blue Crab Identification, Mature Female Blue Crab, Pregnant Female Blue Crab, Sally, Sook, Sponge Crab, steamed crabs